Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Vaxxed! Why I Got the Jabs

 

July 6 was my first and the 27th was my last shot of the vaccine against COVID-19.

The world is polarized between vaccine believers and anti-vaxxers. There are lots of cringe-worthy arguments hanging around in a Mr. Bean fashion. Sorry to be blunt about it, but yes, I'll be straightforward about this. 

Fear of death. That is the most important reason why many people refused to get vaccinated, whether they admit it or not while displaying a straight-face to be courageous about it. While it's true that people who get the jabs are also afraid to die of COVID-19, not everyone has the same reason. I'll just present my arguments. 

I believe that getting the vaccine is being socially responsible. It's not just about one's life. It's about everybody's life. We're in a pandemic. Meaning, we are all living in a bubble of exponentially expanding infection that could start if one is not immune or at least has no significant percentage of immunity. My actions would impact a lot of lives, especially those around me. 

It's a scientific fact that those who are not immune are vulnerable not just to the infection, but also to be the vessels of mutation. That is the very reason why there are already different strains spreading. The space is so wide for these viruses to metamorphose into more invincible and more spreadable forms. If this alone could clear the foggy heads of the anti-vaccine folks, then this seemingly unending circulation of SARS-COV 2 could come to an end or at least weaken.

I have no right to force my beliefs. I also do not hate those who are not keen on getting the jabs. I'm just this desperate for this dragging season to end that I'd like to be heard and hopefully convince the anti-vaxxers to be mindful of others and be less selfish.

The argument that's been circulating in Christian communities that the vaccine is the "mark of the beast" is just too superstitious. I am stunned in disbelief. It's unbiblical. It is a very lame excuse to hide the fear of death if someone says that God is our protector so a vaccine is not necessary. If God can protect a Christian, then why fear getting the vaccine? I get the flu vaccine each year. I got vaccinated with boosters years ago. Does it mean I doubt God’s sovereign protection over me that I get medical intervention? Of course not! It just means that we are given the wisdom, science, technology, doctors, etc. that we could use for our good to take care of our health and bodies.

It’s true that if you trust God with your life, vaccine or no vaccine, you should not be afraid. But between the two options, getting the shots is the more socially responsible and biblical way of showing how you love your neighbor as yourself (which is the second most important commandment). Could you face the fact that a family member contracted the virus because you're a spreader? Take the jabs for yourself and those around you.

For more about why the vaccine is not the "mark of the beast," read this article.

Yes, a vaccinated person can still get COVID-19. But all studies have shown that the protection the vaccine provides is significant to avoid getting hospitalized, being in the ICU, or getting truly severe symptoms.

Also yes, that a vaccinated person, if infected, is still contagious. But all credible findings reveal that the vaccine serves its purpose in terms of lessening the infectivity. Moreover, it could only infect others if that vaccinated person is not carefully sanitizing or not wearing masks.

I don’t know how else to present the benefits of getting the vaccine at this crucial time in the world’s history. All I know is that my life is not in my hands. God can take me anytime. But I don’t want to be the person responsible for spreading something that could harm other people’s lives.

2 comments:

  1. Same Here !! Ayoko din na ako pa maging dahilan ng pagkalat ng Virus na yan !! Well said Anj 😘

    ReplyDelete