Saturday, July 17, 2021

Why I Don't Believe in "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

"...the cliche 'happy wife, happy life' does not apply to us.,, it is more of 'happy couple, for a joy that's double' for us. It works. Twenty years and counting." 



Simple. At home only. Food-filled. Thankful. My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this way. We were planning things before the pandemic, but I guess you know what is happening around.

One of the plans was to go to Tagaytay Royale and have a simple renewal of vows before our closest family and friends. My husband said that if we cannot pull it through, we can do it on the silver anniversary instead. I think he's right because it will require a lot of coordination here and there, and we're not in the Philippines to do that. Besides, I need to practice dancing Dynamite as my special number for him. That's heavy work! Hahaha! 

Another option was to celebrate it somewhere, with just us. Some destinations in Switzerland, Malaysia, South Korea, the U.S., Australia, and Japan came to mind. If I were to choose, I'd go for this one. I've been dying to go places again and blog about them. Whereas for my husband, I believe he needs a breather from all the pressures of work for the past couple of years.

But reality check, the plan did not pan out because of the pandemic. Our hands are tied. There's no room to do something extraordinary. We're stuck with the everyday routine for the past year and a half. And it seems there is very little progress. 

I'm not saying we're in dire straits. It's just that, it's our second time to celebrate our anniversary with the SARS-COV2 virus still around. How selfish of me to think of this when many of our health care workers are burdened each day. That is, to say the least. I know even my own words won't suffice to describe what they are going through right now. 

Nevertheless, it dawned on me that what is important is the gift of health and still being together to celebrate our 20th, albeit simply. I'm still grateful. A crab and seafood feast did wonders. My husband is a no-qualms man. Anything goes. He knows how complicated things are these days. At the back of my head, I'm thinking spa and a two-hour massage. But that is wishful thinking. 

Craaaaabs!

Seafooood lunch from Yamaguchi Fish Market.

Too lazy to cook for dinner. So we ordered from DoubleTree. Its signature cookie is the star.

Before we called it a night, we watched Arthdal Chronicles with Mykori's ice-shaved chocolate-flavored dessert. 

Mykori is addicting. Reminds us of bingsu.

Before I close this post, I just want to add that the cliche "happy wife, happy life" does not apply to us. When you enter a life with your spouse, it means two different people being united by commitment and effort to make each other happy. It's not just the husband's or the wife's role to find ways towards happiness. In my point of view, I think that as a wife, I must be intentional in making my husband happy. I'm very sure he has this perspective, too. Otherwise, our marriage won't last two decades. It will be very unfair, and very selfish to think that only one party has to think of the other's happiness. It is the duty of both the man and the woman.  

Having said that, it is more of "happy couple, for a joy that's double" for us. It works. Twenty years and counting.




     



2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! We'll definitely be there for your renewal of vows haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe for sure. Salamat, Aileen!

    ReplyDelete