Saturday, October 19, 2024

Con te Partiro: A Farewell for Marian

 


It's been a week since Mar left us. I just lost 22+ years of sisterhood with her. I couldn't write a concise tribute until now when everything is sinking in and after reading back our chats. They were a mix of funny and melodramatic topics: about our kids, food, health, prayer, and even chismis (gossip haha!). Videocalls were an even crazier mix.

So far, I have only delivered three eulogies. I'm not so fond of eulogies because I've always believed that all the good stuff you say should be articulated while they're alive. This year, I have had people in my circle leave too soon. I hope the Lord will not add more.

I would like to fondly remember Marian as her sister-in-law from her only brother. Because of her, I met my Eziel. Marian and I became friends first through our church's youth camp. Those were happy youthful days. We watched concerts, and movie premieres, and went on road trips. Those were the highlights of our younger years together. 

Mar was generous, always paying for our adventures. During those years, she had stints at Repertory Philippines. It was fun witnessing her God-given excellence in her craft while acting onstage. 

To many of you, she was a great friend, performer, church worker, music teacher, and many other wonderful things. 

But to me, she was just Marian, a perfectly flawed family member, like all of us with wrong decisions and mistakes. Again, like all of us. I like that she still confided in me even if I made her face some hurtful truths about life issues. 

Eziel and I encouraged her to be healthy and fit. There was even a time when Mar and I went to the gym. But I guess she tried to avoid me the following day when I invited her again! 

I appreciate that she did not cut me off even if I always gave her my version of the Sermon on the Mount. We were very concerned about her, so we spoke the truth, maybe sometimes bluntly. But there was love behind it. 

Many people may not know what she was going through. Because Mar was goofy, her natural reflex was to cover whatever pain she was in.   

More than anything, apart from honoring Marian publicly for the last time, I would like to say that her life, although teeming with unfavorable situations, was a true manifestation of how God's grace worked. God rescued her from death, and showered her with blessings --- the greatest of which is Cadi. A person who was weak and limited in many aspects, tainted in various ways, God used for His glory. 

So if you're experiencing the harshness of life, remember how God delivered Marian from her many predicaments. More than her voice and talent, let's look at her life and God's overflowing grace over her. May we be inspired by God moving in the lives of people like Mar. 

Let's admire Marian. But let's look at Jesus even more, the One who deserves all the praises in her life.       

No comments:

Post a Comment